This Sunday, we begin our IMPACT OLYMPICS! It’s going to be BIG and WILD! Can’t wait!!!
The goal of these olympics is to create a cohesion within our congregation. And this cohesion forms community. Here’s the definition of community”
Community – a society of people having common rights and privileges, common interests, living under the same laws and regulations, having a community spirit.
But this cohesion with our congregation requires more than the previous definition. It requires COVENANT. Here’s the definition of covenant:
Covenant– A treaty, alliance, league, constitution, ordinance, agreement, pledge, alliance between God and man and man to man.
I believe the example of the church being an OIKOS (household of believers) is defined not just as a community, but a COVENANT COMMUNITY.
The Biblical concept of covenant community is depicted in the following statements:
- When people are more concerned with the corporate body than with themselves. Acts 4:32
- Individuals are knitted, built, framed, and joined together. This speaks of close, long-lasting and real friendships.
- The spirit of sacrifice becomes the attitude in which the church (covenant community) meets the needs of everyone.
- When team ministry is properly implemented to meet the needs of the church and the community.
- When the elderly retain the proper godly authority throughout their lives.
- Where the preaching of the Gospel and discipleship of people through relationships becomes the primary focus for every family.
Lastly, it’s explained through Acts 2:42, Impact’s Church’s 2012 power verse…
They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer (Acts 2:42).